Cooking Instructions pig 60-100lbs
1. First start with 25-30 charcoal bricks at each of the four corners in the charcoal pans -
Position the pans a minimum of 3” from the side wall (about 4 finger width is good).
Coal pans should be directly over the shoulders of the pig.
2. Light the charcoal let the flame die down and allow the coals ash over.
3. Place the pig in the roaster belly up for 15-20 minutes MAX, this allows the marinade to settle in.
4. Maintain temperature at 225-250 degrees and NO HIGHER THAN 275 DEGREES.
(This allows the cook some flexibility on accuracy)
5. Turn pig over Belly side down for the duration of the cooking time.
6. Add coal every 40-45 minutes about 6-10 cubes–try to maintain constant temperature as
7. To Crisp the skin - Pull the coal pans together at center add coal (6-10 cubes at each
corner) then turn roast over to brown skin, belly side up 20-30 minutes.
(Watch every 5-10 minutes the first time or until you are comfortable you have mastered the
temperature / cooking time).
Cooking times are about 1 Hour for every 15 lbs. Give or take depending on the wind.
60 lbs should be ready at about 3 - 4 hours
70 lbs should be ready at about 4 - 4 1/2 hours
100 lbs should be ready in about 5 - 5 1/2 hours
Coal amounts can vary once you try it you can change to meet your liking.
Coal amounts change the cooking time- more charcoal at first and less later on will make for a more juicy moist roast- constant temperature will make a deeper/dryer roasting. Add wood chips or leaves to add smoke this makes for finger licking good Roasting!!